Saturday, February 09, 2008

I'm back!

It's been a long time since I've posted. Sporadic isn't even the word for it. But I am feeling energized right now. I get excited every election season, but something is different now. I really believe Barack Obama has a lot to do with it.

I think there are three main factors here that have turned me into a Barack believer:

1) First and foremost is always policy for me. Not only is this my first priority, it is also the hardest to fulfill. I am a social liberal and a fiscal conservative. I am an environmentalist, a feminist, and I have a strong libertarian streak in me. I believe in a smaller but more effective government. But I also believe the government can play a role in enriching the lives of its citizens. Obama is the best match I've found in a viable candidate in a long time, maybe ever.

2) Independence. I am tired of feeling like every politician is indebted to some company, industry, PAC, or even small fringe group within their own party. I've been impressed by Obama's ability to raise money without tapping into corporate cash. (Howard Dean was the only other candidate I can remember that did this, but he went crazy the instant he became national news.)

3) Leadership. Despite what critics imply, words really do matter. As a former reporter, copy editor, and sometimes poet, I believe this. Bottom line, if you can't communicate your vision, nobody will buy into it. Obama has a vision of the future, and he can eloquently discribe that vision in a way that draws in support.

So, I'm full of hope for a better future. (It can hardly get worse after 8 years of GWB.) And I'm posting again.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home